Costilla Meadows 5 Update: Taos DA nuts about AG.

By: Bill Whaley
5 September, 2018

 

Part I

The “Costilla Meadows 5” were charged on Tuesday, Sept. 4, in federal court on “possession of firearms and ammunition by an alien living illegally in the U.S., and the other four are charged with aiding and abetting, and conspiring with her in the weapons violation,” according to Journal North Reporter, Megan Bennet. “The federal counts were filed after child abuse charges against all five were either dismissed by judges or dropped by the District Attorney’s Office in Taos last week.”

“Court documents state that the adults were training children at the compound to carry out armed attacks on various institutions, such as schools and banks. Citing interviews with children now in state custody, investigators have said that Levielle [alleged illegal Haitian immigrant] told the group that the dead boy, Abdul-Ghani Wahhj [son of alleged kidnaper Siraj Ibn Wahhaj, 40] would be resurrected as Jesus to tell them which “corrupt” institutions to attack.

“Siraj Ibn Wahhaj, 40, Lucas Morton, 40, Jany Leveille, 35, Hujrah Wahhaj, 37, and Subhanah Wahhaj, 35, will have preliminary and detention hearings today in federal court in Albuquerque.”

Part II

Although DA Donald Gallegos has said he will pursue “state child abuse charges” later this month, according to the Journal, the more interesting local news concerns the consistent manner in which the DA continues to earn his moniker “Mr. Duck’n Cover.”

The Journal North quotes the DA’s Facebook post blasting “Attorney General Hector Balderas for a television interview in which he said the D.A.’s office had declined Balderas’ offer to help.”

I never ‘declined’ your offer of assistance,” Gallegos wrote. “I am sorry that you are not happy that you were unable to get national press by entering the case at an early point – as that is what you seem to be concerned about,” he continued. “Well, you are doing a good job of getting press attention by criticizing me and my office now.”

“Balderas wrote in his own Aug. 31 response letter that he “disagrees with any conclusion other than one that my actions taken with regard to this matter have been to proactively find a solution and respond to the evolving needs of my law enforcement partner.”

Part III

The DA, Mr. Duck ‘n Cover, if anything, is legendary in evading responsibility. During his reign of bumbling since 2000, he has variously blamed judges for upholding criminal and civil procedure, defense attorneys for protecting the rights of the accused, the TCSO for poor evidence gathering, the state legislature for poor funding, gangs and cartels, the community for not coming forward, the perps for being criminals, out-of-state victims, the law for imposing rules, and even this “ax-grinding blogger” for calling attention to misdeeds as well as his political enemies in general who harbor private grievances.

Next, Donald will blame the voters for electing him to office. Perhaps he’s never looked in the mirror.

Given the history of blundering by the DA and associated local investigators, Taosenos can be grateful that the feds stepped in and removed the Costilla Meadows 5 from Taos County and that the State CY&F Department are seeing to the alleged 11 abused children. There’s a very simple lesson here: prior to going to court the cops and the DA must meet the standard of “probable cause” and provide evidence for claims, not rely on Mitote and wishful thinking.

Category: Que Pasa? | RSS 2.0 Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

No Comments

Comments are closed.